A Winter Memory (Short Story Version)

by Black Ghost

Part One

Crystal loved snowflakes. She loved the way they swirled down from the heavens, coating the ground in white bliss; the way that each individual snowflake seemed insignificant, but was part of something much more beautiful and grand. Maybe that was why she came to this cabin every winter, tucked away in a hushed forest. Just to be away from everything and everyone, to be seemingly insignificant like a single snowflake. Here she felt as if she were nothing and everything at once.

As she sat there near the window, staring at the snowfall outside, these thoughts went through her mind. They were coherent at first, crisp and clear as if she were speaking her mind aloud, but they were soon muddled into fleeting images and broken phrases, finally settling into a rushing sense of joy. This was her love for winter. In winter she felt safe, surrounded by blankets of snow. And winter was even more beautiful here in the forest, where the snow lay undisturbed by the activities of human life. It was peace. It was happiness. It was home.

Crystal rose from her seat by the window and stretched her arms out wide. She watched the last of the fog her breath had made disappear from the window’s surface, and felt the warmth of the living room’s crackling fire on her back. The drowsiness that had built up while she was sitting finally caught up with her, and she felt her eyes heavy with sleep. Time for bed.

Walking across the barren hallway to her bedroom, she slid her hand across the wall’s smooth wooden surface, enjoying its cooling feel on her fingertips. She never bothered to decorate the place when she came. It was better pure. She knew that if she ever put up some ornate wall hangings or even a small figurine or two on the shelf over the fireplace, the cabin would lose its special meaning. It would become something artificial. She knew it was silly to think this way, but it was how she felt.

The door to the bedroom was open a crack, and she peeked inside to find Alyssa looking through a small picture book while she lay on bed by the table light. Crystal opened the door a little wider, and it creaked. Alyssa looked up from her book and smiled.

“Hi Mama,” she said, sliding her picture book underneath her pillow.

“Hey, sweetie,” said Crystal, making her way over to the bed, “Ready to sleep yet?”

“Can I hear a bedtime story first?”

“You’re not too tired?” Crystal laughed. “Besides, Daddy’s coming home tomorrow morning. Don’t you want to be wide awake when he gets here?” Alyssa fell silent. “Alyssa?” she asked, unsure if her daughter had heard her. Alyssa still didn’t respond, and only looked down at her lap. “Alyssa, what’s wrong?” After a while Alyssa looked up at her mother, her face solemn.

“Does Daddy have to come home?”

She put her hand on Alyssa’s cheek and looked into her eyes; Crystal knew what was coming.

“What do you mean?” asked Crystal, her voice wavering slightly, “Why wouldn’t you want Daddy to come home?” Before she answered, Crystal saw fear flicker in her daughter’s eyes.

“Because he hurts you.”

It was as if someone had dumped a pitcher of scalding hot water all over Crystal’s body.

“No,” she replied, feeling like she was drowning in her own words. “Daddy doesn’t hurt me, Alyssa. He doesn’t.”

“I see you crying at night,” said Alyssa.

Her vision blurred. How had she let her know? She felt so stupid. Just because Alyssa was always behind a closed door doesn’t mean she didn’t know. It didn’t mean she couldn’t hear the noises: the yells and screams, her pleas for him to stop, the sound of impact as he struck her. It was obvious to anyone who knew her what was going on. And Crystal thought she could keep it a secret from her seven year old daughter. She tried to compose herself, tried to keep her head from spinning. “Mama, what’s wrong?” She heard through the haze, and that was enough to snap her back. She took Alyssa in her arms, shaking her head.

“No, he doesn’t hurt me,” she said softly, hugging her daughter tightly. “He doesn’t.” Crystal just held her daughter that way for a while, rocking back and forth. When she let go, she saw the confused look on her daughter’s face. “Just forget it, Alyssa,” She said soothingly, running a hand through her hair. “Let me tell you that bedtime story. Any one you want.”

After a few moments the confusion left Alyssa’s expression, and her face lit up, her eyes twinkling.

“Even Snow Princess?”

“Yes, even Snow Princess,” repeated Crystal, giving a silent sigh of relief. This wasn’t the time to explain things to Alyssa. She would eventually, but not now. Definitely not now.

Although she never told anyone this, the tale of the Snow Princess was Crystal’s favorite. Ever since she had first heard it from her mother as a little girl, she had fallen in love with the story of the beautiful mistress who governed all of winter. She must have told it to her own daughter dozens of times already, but nonetheless she began it again, with just as much enthusiasm as the first time she spun it, despite how she felt at the moment.

The Snow Princess was a dazzling beauty with skin as white as the snow itself. She walked through the forests in a wondrous light, only hovering just above the snow, leaving no trace of her travels. She was the very soul of winter. She protected all living things from the demons that lived in the shadows and in human hearts. The Snow Princess reflected all the beauty of winter, while the demons symbolized the bitter cold that winter brought. But in the struggle for good, the Snow Princess was always victorious. And she was not just winter’s protector, but the very thing that gave it life. There was not a snowflake that fell without having the life breathed into it by the Snow Princess. Without her winter would be nothing. The snows would cease to fall, and all the ice would melt away forever. And Crystal knew that if such a person ever existed, she would owe her everything for preserving the thing that gave her joy. Winter.

“And do you know what her real name is?” she asked, stroking her daughter’s long brown hair.

“She has a name?” said Alyssa, her eyes fluttering in and out of sleep. “You never told me that.”

“Because it’s a secret,” said Crystal. “My mother told it to me when I was about your age, and she said that no matter how bad things seemed, if you called her name in the winter air, the Snow Princess would always come to help.”

“What is it?” said Alyssa, her eyes suddenly bright again.

“Her name is Coventina.” The Snow Princess’ name hung in the air for a moment, and she always felt a sense of comfort whenever she said it.

“Coventina,” muttered Alyssa, and her eyes closed as sleep finally overcame her. Crystal lowered and gave Alyssa a gentle kiss on the forehead, and then laid her own tired head on the pillows and shut her eyes as well. She tried to fight back the tears that had been mounting inside her for the last few minutes, and tried to block it out of her head. She wasn’t a horrible mother. She loved her daughter with all her heart. It wasn’t her fault. But Crystal knew it wasn’t enough.

A Knock.

Her eyes shot open again. Crystal sat up in the bed, startled. The knock had been loud, and it seemed to have come from the front door. As careful as she could, she got up from under the bed covers, trying not to disturb Alyssa. She pulled her night robe as tightly as she could around her as she walked up to the front door of the cabin and looked through the eye hole. There was no one standing outside, just the cold winter night. Crystal went over and pulled the window drapes open as well. Still no one. Then, just as she was about to go back to her bedroom, she heard another knock come from the other side of the cabin, this time louder. She froze. What on earth could it be? Slowly she walked over to the window across the room. She only dared pull the curtains back a fraction of an inch. Again she saw nothing or no one that could have made the noise.

She shivered. It seemed to have got colder all of a sudden, and Crystal noticed that the fire in the living room had died down to a smolder. Only minutes ago it was a roaring flame. Another noise met her ears. It was the rattling of a doorknob. Crystal spun around to face the front door again, and saw with horror that someone was trying to open it. Her thoughts came to a complete halt. Her senses were blocked. She could hear nothing, feel nothing. It was as if someone had pressed pause on her and her alone. All she could see was the knob of the door, shaking from side to side. In the middle of the forest, and in the middle of the night, who the hell on this beautiful green earth could be trying to come into the cabin? She knew it couldn’t be Jerry. No matter how drunk he got, he would always call first. Always.

Suddenly the doorknob stopped moving. She stared for a few more seconds before she realized that the person was no longer trying to come in through the front door. She thanked God with all her heart that she had remembered to lock the door that night. And as if she had been holding her breath, her senses rushed back into her like a deep inhale of air. One thought held her firm to reality.

She had to protect Alyssa.

With adrenaline surging through her, she ran to the closet opposite her bedroom door and thrust it open. As the dust lifted at her feet she pulled back the large winter coats that hung about her until she could see the wall. The silver handle of a safe met her eyes, and she quickly began to turn the combination into it. Long ago Jerry had stored a gun for emergency. It had to be in here.

Fifteen. Twenty-seven. Four. A click.

With sweaty hands she opened the safe, and it creaked loudly, heavy with years of age. In it lay a single black pistol, loaded. Trembling slightly, Crystal grasped it in her hands. For a second she hesitated, but then the thought of Alyssa sleeping in the room behind her came back into her focus. She pulled the gun out and shut the safe.

Crystal held the gun in front of her a little unsteadily, and pointed it at the door. The knob hadn’t started rattling again, but she knew that whoever it was could come back. She would be ready if he did.

When she reached the door again, she was trembling more than ever. After a few minutes, or what seemed like an eternity to Crystal, the knob remained still. She could feel her heart pounding inside of her. She felt the blood flow in every vein in her body. If the door were to suddenly burst open that second, Crystal knew she would have no choice but to pull the trigger. But it frightened her, seeing the pitch black gun in her hands. She felt as if she was watching someone else hold the gun, because she could barely feel it. She hardly felt anything at all at that moment, except for the steady pumping of her heart.

A loud noise. Shattering of glass. She jumped back, but didn’t pull the trigger. It wasn’t the door that burst, but the lights. One by one every light bulb in the house exploded, starting with the one directly above Crystal’s head. She fell, the image of showering sparks burned into her retinas. The house fell into complete darkness. She landed hard on her back, and the wind was knocked out of her. Her blood pumped more furiously than ever, and she felt a cold sweat break out over her entire body. The image of her daughter seemed to form in the darkness above her. Fear. Sickening and absolute fear.

Seconds passed by, or was it hours. Crystal didn’t care anymore. All she wanted was to run to her daughter’s room and embrace her tightly and never let go. She would shield her from anything that threatened to hurt them. Crystal would have to be shred piece by piece if they ever wanted to get to Alyssa.

As she turned on her stomach, she was faintly aware of the gun still held tight in her hand. To her surprise, one light hadn’t gone out. It was the table light in the room where Alyssa was sleeping. The light shown through the crack underneath the bedroom door. She hadn’t remembered closing it.

Crystal stood up, completely focused on the ray of light coming from the bedroom. She felt like she was in a dream as she walked down the hallway, and the light seemed to stretch farther and farther away from her reach. Somehow she managed to reach it, and groped for the doorknob in the dark. She noticed her hand shaking violently. Feeling across the door’s surface, her hand finally grasped the doorknob, and she held her other hand out in front of her face, ready to shoot if she needed to. There was a window in her room, and she feared the worst.

She turned the knob and started to push the door open. Its creaking overpowered her senses, seeming as loud as a stereo blasting in her face. The door swung open, and light flooded into the hallway.

At first Crystal couldn’t understand what she was seeing. Alyssa was awake now, standing on the bed. She had braced herself with her back against the wall, and Crystal saw tears streaming down her face. Alyssa turned and said something to her, but she couldn’t hear what. Her senses were shot again. But then Alyssa turned her gaze away from her mother, and Crystal saw that she was staring at something in the corner of the room. Despite the intense light, one corner of the room was somehow in shadows, and she thought she saw Alyssa scream as she pointed to it.

Before Crystal could react, something had leapt from the shadows with inhuman speed, and pinned her against the wall. She felt the gun fall from her hand, making a thud against the wooden floor. Crystal was now sure that this had to be a dream. She was staring into the face of a white tiger, its claws digging into the flesh around her shoulders. Its enormous weight was crushing her, and she couldn’t even scream. She simply looked into the monster’s bright blue eyes. Crystal never knew that eyes so blue could exist. And to add to her insanity, she could swear the tiger began to speak with her. Its lips didn’t move, but she heard a distinct voice, ringing clear through the barrier of her senses.

The girl is ours now. Leave.

The white tiger released Crystal from its grip, and went back down on all fours. It began to bare its teeth. They were the clearest white imaginable, and looked sharp enough to easily pierce the roughest leather. She felt someone grab her arm. Her other arm. Something grabbed her ankle as well. In a matter of seconds, invisible hands had grasped every part of Crystal’s body, and she was lifted into the air. She didn’t struggle. Paralysis seemed to grip her entire body. They were taking her away. Away from Alyssa. She couldn’t even move her head to look down at her daughter for one last time. Besides, the invisible hands had already carried her into the living room. The front door swung open violently, and the frigid winter air came rushing into the cabin. Crystal had never felt such a breeze before in her life. With a huge thrust she was thrown out of the cabin into the open air. Although she couldn’t feel anything, her eyes were wide open, and she saw the sky with such clarity that it frightened her. Time slowed to a near halt as she soared through the air, and every snowflake and dark cloud was burned into her memory forever. Complete helplessness, absolute and utter exposure.

Time then accelerated as she collided with a tree. Her sensations returned, starting with pain. She slumped down into the snow beneath her, becoming a mass of hair and body. A trickle of blood ran down her cheek. Through the searing pain, Crystal opened her eyes. The cabin was gone. All that remained was a patch of bare dirt.

As the snow continued to fall upon Crystal’s limp body, the howling winds ceased. For a moment all was still, and the only thing she could hear was the sound of her own sobs. Crystal knew that soon the falling snow would cover the patch of brown dirt where the cabin had been, leaving no trace it had ever been there. No trace at all, even of a small seven year old girl named Alyssa.

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:32 am
JC says...

Part Two:

This section was good, only there wasn't enough action in it for me. Just a girl freezing to death.

Plot and Stlye:
I like how the story is coming along. It's very entertaining and well written. Easy to read with a slight elegance.

Part Three:

We though we were doing you a favor by removing the burden.

You missed a T on thought =D

Mucho abrupt ending, but I liked it. I'm not sure if this would be labled as Fantasy though...I think it is...

Anyways...

FIN:
I like the way this ended, though as I said earlier it was very abrupt. I don't know if there should have been more action, more of a fight between the tiger and Crystal, or even between Crystal and herself. It would be cool to see a much bigger struggle.

Character analysis:

Crystal: I love this character. How it shows her weaknesses, and even how she reacts to certain things. You did a wonderful job creating her. =D

Alyssa: I can see what Sam meant in her first post, about THE CUTE-YET-PRECOCIOUS CHILD SYNDROME. It seems -and especially in the second installment- like you are useing Alyssa to envoke feelings in the readers...or something like that. It works because she's a little kid, but remember, there are other ways to make you reader feel bad without horrifying them =D

This was a really good story, and I shalnt tear it apart!
hehe, keep up the good work!
-JC

Black Ghost says...

Part Three

“Help my daughter,” breathed Crystal, on her knees.

“Stand, my child,” said Coventina, hovering a few inches above the ground near Crystal. “My services are yours.”

Trembling, Crystal stood, unable to believe the magnificent being she saw before her was real. Coventina had skin as white as the snow, and her gown was a deep blue like her lips. The strong light that she emitted illuminated the forest around her, and it was if daylight had come early.

“No harm will befall Alyssa,” said Coventina, placing a hand upon Crystal’s head. She was almost seven feet tall, and seemed like a mountain looming over Crystal’s body. “But I cannot save her.”

Crystal felt her hopes plummet again.

“Why not?” pleaded Crystal. “Who else can?”

“You must be the one to retrieve your daughter,” said Coventina. “All I can do is open the door to the other side. It is not my place to deal with matters of the heart.”

Crystal didn’t understand. How could she do anything to save Alyssa? She was the one who let her go in the first place.

“Please,” said Crystal, desperation in her voice, “What if I can’t? I don’t want to lose her.” The Snow Princess looked straight into her eyes, and Crystal felt a sense of absolute purity and innocence. They held their gaze for a long time, and Crystal could feel the power behind Coventina’s simple stare.

“If you truly love her with all your heart, there should be no doubt in your mind that you will come back with her safely in your arms, no matter what obstacles you may face.”

Crystal was stunned. How could it be as simple as that? But then she felt ashamed of herself. She needed to be strong for Alyssa. She needed to believe that she would be able to get her back at any cost. That was the only way. There was no more room for fears. The only thing that mattered was getting Alyssa back safe and sound. Any thought in between had to be shunned.

“I understand,” said Crystal, a new resolve flowing inside her. “I will get her back, just give me the chance.”

Coventina smiled, and then gestured to an open field of snow to the left of where they were standing. The snow began to shift, as if something was moving around beneath it. Then something started to rise up out of the ground, snow falling off its edges like a waterfall. Soon a large stone door was standing tall only some yards away.

“This is where you enter their world,” said Coventina. “The world of demons.”

Crystal took a step towards the strange door. As she walked, the void filled that had appeared ever since Alyssa was taken. All she needed to do was step through and get her daughter back. She held her hand out and grasped the large, ornate silver knob. She pulled it open, and saw nothing but a white light.

And she entered.

Crystal was blinded again. She saw stars flutter around her as the light turned to pitch black darkness. A strong gust of wind kicked up her robe, and she felt herself being pulled into another world. She was flying, the bright stars exploding into dust as she pushed them aside. Then she slowly settled down onto the ground again, and the darkness faded. It was replaced by sunlight. A harsh, unforgiving sunlight, sending the land around her into an unbearable heat.

Crystal looked around her. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing. It was the forest. She had not even left the spot where she had entered the door. But something was very different. The trees were no longer blanketed with sheets of snow, but covered with ash.

The forest had burned down.

It looked like a desert, with burnt, decaying trees sprouting up from the sand.

Over the haze of heat, Crystal could make out something in the horizon besides the trees. It was a large piece of stone, standing a few feet from the ground. It was jagged on its edges, but completely flat at the top. Something was lying on top of it. Crystal’s heart leapt. Alyssa.

She got up and ran. Sweat began to pour from every region of her body as the sun continued to beat down. Clouds of sand formed in the air as Crystal kicked them up with her feet. The small pedestal on the horizon was getting nearer. The void inside her vanished as she ran faster and faster towards the horizon.

A flurry of brilliant white fur. Crystal stumbled and fell to her knees in the hot sand. She looked up into the face of the white tiger, its blue eyes piercing her like daggers.

Stop.

“I can’t,” said Crystal, standing up. “I came here for Alyssa. I’m taking her back.”

Why? You gave her to us.

“What?” said Crystal, incredulous. “You stole her from me!” The white tiger bore its teeth again.

You practically opened the door for us, Crystal. We thought we were doing you a favor by removing the burden.

“No!” screamed Crystal. “How can you say that? I love Alyssa; I would give my life for her!” Crystal wasn’t sure if tigers could smile, but just then the white tiger seemed to do just that. It allowed its claws to extend fully, and its fur stood on end.

I see. Care to prove it?

The earth rumbled, and Crystal saw that something had risen from beneath the sand. It was a large boulder, some ten feet high. The tiger effortlessly leaped to the top, and looked down at her.

As Crystal turned back to look at Alyssa, she was surprised to see that she was only few yards away now.

The shadows that had thrown her out of the cabin once again emerged. They flew from the ashes of the trees, and formed two long lines on either side of her. Crystal gasped. Bows had suddenly appeared in their hands, and they began pulling back large black arrows, their sharpened tips glinting in the sun.

Go ahead. Take one more step. You said you would give your life for her. Prove it.

Crystal froze. She looked about her, and the weight of the situation bore down on her. She felt suffocated. Alyssa was so close, Crystal just needed to walk over and pick her up. But then she glimpsed the sides of her, where the shadows had their arrows pulled back tight, ready to let fly.

As Crystal gazed back again at her daughter’s limp body lying on the pedestal, her vision blurred with tears. Alyssa seemed so peaceful sleeping there. It was as if she was separated from the world.

A rushing sense of fear and longing swept throughout her body. She trembled. Crystal could almost feel the points of the arrows pricking her neck. And yet, none of it mattered anymore. She knew with a powerful firmness what she must do.

Crystal took a step.

All of the shadows simultaneously let their arrows loose. They flew through the air with deadly precision, all aimed directly at Crystal’s body. Crystal closed her eyes. She felt death latch onto her like a parasite, and she knew it would drive its deadly knife into her soon enough. But strangely, she never felt the pain come.

Opening her eyes, Crystal looked down. Many arrows were protruding from all across her body, but she couldn’t feel them. She grabbed one that was sticking directly out of her midsection and swiftly pulled it out. Still no pain. Crystal turned her eyes toward the white tiger, and glared at him. She continued to walk.

What are you doing? How can you still be alive?

“Because I love my daughter,” she said as she continued to march. The shadows near her evaporated into nothing as she passed them by. She came to stop right in front of Alyssa’s sleeping body. Gingerly, Crystal slid her hands underneath Alyssa’s frail body and lifted her. As she turned, the tiger was there standing in front of her, a low growl emitting from his throat.

You’re not leaving with her.

Crystal simply walked past the white tiger. It didn’t move. It couldn’t move. Crystal didn’t bother looking back. She headed for the large stone door that still stood tall, like a beacon of hope.

As she neared it, the white tiger let out a deafening roar that filled the air like an explosion.

Alyssa jerked awake in Crystal’s arms as she reached for the silver doorknob.

“What’s happening?” she said, rubbing her eyes.

“Nothing,” said Crystal, opening the door. “Only a bad dream.”

***

Uh, yeah...that's the end. :? What do you think? Please feel free to shred it apart. :P

Sam says...

Hey, magicman!

Ah, another excellent segement. Crystal's coming along nicely- and the whole conflict with her and her hallucinations is really expertly done.

One problem, though- you had two unneeded paragraphs in this segment. Where were they? At the beginning- the first two.

The problem with telling us about a character's deepest hopes and dreams and how their life has been going up to the past five minutes is that it tends to become a little info-dumpy. This would normally be okay, but it's kind of reiterating what's been implied throughout the entire story...and it's too slow to be a hok for the next chapter. Not good.

What's the problem with going over a character's complicated thought processes? In this scenario, Crystal has gone pretty much bonkers. Her mind is mush; all she cares about is getting to the ranger station. The only thing that'll matter to her as a character are the things that are happening right now- which needs to be reflected in the narrative, as well. The golden rule? The narrative needs to reflect the mood of the characters, or else everything becomes contradictory and confusing.

So! What to do? Simply delete the first two paragraphs. All that we really need to know about is where she's headed and what's happening to her feet now.

Good job, Magicman! I'm totally ready for part three- now that there's disembodied princess voices, the story can only become exponentially excellent. :wink: You know the drill- feel free to PM if you've got any questions...or when the next chapter's up.

ELven-Maiden wrote a review...

Hey, this is coming out to be a really cool story! 9no pun intended)

The only thing I would change is the way Alyssa says indifferently, "It's better if you die here." You made her sound like a little girl, and it's hard to imagine a child (of about 7? 8?) acting like that.

But i like the story! pm me when you update it, k?

Black Ghost says...

Part Two

Not too far off, maybe a half a mile away, there was a ranger’s station. Crystal had been there on one occasion last winter with Jerry when they were reporting a bear sighting near the cabin. She thought that maybe she could make it there and find help. But with the falling snow impairing her vision, she knew it would not be easy.

She got up and faced in the general direction she knew the ranger station must be. And she walked, one bare foot after the other. The snow was deep and her feet sank in repeatedly. She had to sit on a rock every now and then to rub them for fear that they would freeze solid. They had already started to turn blue.

Crystal continued walking, trying to fight the biting cold. It was all she could do to keep from collapsing. Perhaps with some warmer clothes on, she would have a better chance of making it there. But with every step she took Crystal felt her heart fall further. It was so cold. She could feel the frost building on her face, and as she tried to wipe it off she realized she had no feeling left in her cheeks. To keep herself going, she thought of Alyssa. But the only image that came to her was that of Alyssa standing on the bed, terror stricken. Crystal felt as if she would weep again. How had she let this happen to her one and only daughter?

The winds increased, and Crystal had to struggle to keep forward. Her robe was hardening with ice now. She had no idea how far she had come yet, but she knew for certain that she had been walking at least an hour. Fear suddenly rose inside her. What if she wasn’t going in the right direction? Would she really just die here, in the middle of the forest? She looked around her at the frost laden trees and rocks. These might be the last images she ever saw.

Crystal rubbed her hands together furiously. She needed warmth. But nothing seemed to work. She felt her body getting colder and colder. The violent shivering was making it hard for her to walk.

Suddenly she remembered something; there was a lighter in her robe pocket. She stopped for a moment and desperately dug her hands into it. They were very numb, and she dug down deep, trying to feel anything small and hard. Then her left fingers brushed up against it. She held it loosely and brought out into the open air. Cupping her shaking hands, she looked at it—her only source of warmth.

She took it in her right hand and tried to light it. She could barely hold her fingers around it. She tried spinning the metal wheel with her thumb. Her hands were shaking too much, and she could barely move her thumb fast enough to budge it. Crystal tried again and again, but it was no use. She couldn’t light it. Letting her hand fall to her side, she dropped the lighter in the snow. If only she had remembered it a half an hour ago, it could have been of some use to her.

Crystal’s breathing became labored. It came in short, random gasps, and she couldn’t seem to walk in a straight line anymore. Where was she? Yes, on her way to the ranger’s station, she remembered. It couldn’t be too far now. Alyssa couldn’t be too far now either. In fact, Crystal thought she saw Alyssa running only a few feet in front of her. Why was she out in the cold like this, and in a bathing suit, no less?

Crystal tried to walk a little quicker to catch up with her. Alyssa was going too fast. Crystal couldn’t keep pace, she was stumbling too much. She wanted to yell for Alyssa to wait for her, but she felt she could no longer speak. But it was okay, because Alyssa had stopped and turned to face Crystal. She stood there in her polka dot bathing suit, beaming. Crystal tripped and fell to her knees. No, she couldn’t stop now. Alyssa was only a few feet away.

“Come on, Mama,” said Alyssa, beckoning to her. “Come and play with me.”

Crystal wanted to go play with Alyssa, but she wasn’t able to get to her feet. She looked up at Alyssa, and reached her hand out. She wanted to tell Alyssa that she couldn’t get up. She couldn’t go on any longer. Alyssa then got down on the floor and put her head between her legs.

“You don’t love me anymore,” she sobbed, her shoulders shaking violently.

No, thought Crystal, she did love her. She loved her more than anything.

“Why won’t you come play with me!” she screamed, her eyes filled with tears. Crystal tried to crawl to her daughter. She got on her stomach, and tried to claw herself farther.

“No!” bellowed Alyssa, pushing herself back on the floor. “Leave me alone!”

What had Crystal done? Tears of her own began to flow, and she watched her daughter’s terrified expression as she looked down at her frozen body. But Alyssa immediately stopped crying and stood up again. She walked through the snow until Crystal’s hands were at her feet. Crystal groped for her daughter’s ankles, but she felt nothing.

“It’s better if you die here,” she said indifferently and simply walked away.

Crystal watched as her daughter disappeared into the wind. Alyssa was right, thought Crystal; she just needed to die here. She was good for nothing anyway. Her husband hated her, and now her daughter hated her. There was no need for her anymore. She was only dead weight, holding her family down.

Crystal finally laid her head down on the snow and closed her eyes. It would be over soon. She wouldn’t even feel herself go. It would be a peaceful, quick death. At least she could take comfort in that. She couldn’t even feel her body anymore. She didn’t even feel the snow either. It was as if she was lying in a nice comfortable bed, a soft pillow beneath her head.

A warm bed.

She actually felt warmth. Slowly, like water washing over her, the warmth spread throughout her entire body. It felt so heavenly. The cold just melted away, and Crystal even felt her strength returning. She could move her limbs again. Where was the heat coming from?

Slowly, Crystal pushed herself off the snow and onto her knees. She then pulled one knee up in front of her, and pushed up on her foot. She was standing again. She felt around her, trying to find where the warmth was coming from. Somewhere to her right, behind the trees. She started walking over to them, and the warmth grew stronger. Could it be a fire? All Crystal knew is that it filled her with so much pleasure and comfort. She needed to get closer.

As she neared the trees, Crystal heard a gentle melody in the air. It was like a lullaby. Then, finally, she came to the overhanging branches and pushed them aside.

She was almost blinded.

A great light shone in her face, and it took a few moments for her eyes to adjust. She began to make out something hovering in the light. A huge gown, its tail rippling in the wind. It was so tall and graceful. The melody grew louder. Crystal realized that it was singing. Her voice was so beautiful; it almost put Crystal in a trance. Then she seemed to turn in Crystal’s direction, her lips a deep, electrifying blue. Their eyes locked, and Crystal gazed into eternity.

Coventina.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:41 am
Black Ghost says...

Thanks again for all your comments!

JCobsesed: Thanks for catching my insane usage of her name. While I was editing I made sure to cut down on that and now have approximately half the number of "Crystals" that I had before.

And I cleaned up the story a bit and rewrote the ending to flow better. My main concern with this is its flow, so any more comments on how to make any other part of the story flow better would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again,
Tony

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:56 am
JC wrote a review...

This was sad, in a very...classic way, which was very cool. I loved the beginning when she was looking at the snow, your description is just beautiful there. Tres bien.

One thing that bothered me though, was number of times you said Crystal. 69 times, out of 3030. That's about once every 43 words. Which doesn't sound like much, when put into numbers, but in writing is actually a lot considering description. In third person, it's best not to use the names more than you have to in order allow the reader to know who's doing what, when. You can replace about half of your "Crystals," with either "she" or "her." It would help the flow of the story a lot more, and relieve the repeditiveness.

Other than that this was brillient. Beautiful descriptions and intresting plot. I look forward to seeing what becomes of it =D. Keep up the good work!
-JC

Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:59 am
Black Ghost says...

Thanks for the comments, Sam! I knew something seemed off about my dialogue, and I think you nailed it with the child-syndrom thing. And after reading over it several times I did notice a slight flow and rhytm problem, so thanks for the clause counting suggestion. And I'm glad you liked the story itself. :D

-Tony

Sam wrote a review...

Hey, Magicman!

Ooh, I loved this piece- a bit of mysterious fantasy in a cabin in the snow? Automatically awesome, in any way, shape, or form. :wink: I did like the character of the mother, and the way you create intrigue- you've got several layers of conflict. The kid's worried about her mom, and the mom is worried about the kid and the dad, and then she needs to find her daughter, who's been kidnapped...it works together very well.

Anyway, I had two concerns:

THE CUTE-YET-PRECOCIOUS CHILD SYNDROME: This occurs when you are trying to use kids as characters the way horror movies do- creepy, all-knowing, yet angelic harbingers of doom. Not good, right?

The thing that did little Alyssa in for me was her constant use of the word "mommy". Little kids are self-centered, they're not huge on names or personal pronouns. A tug on the arm would do to get her attention.

Make sure that your dialogue between the two isn't sickly sweet, either. If it's Hallmark-card-esque, the pain of the situation won't show. It needs to be direct and as honest as you can make it without going out of character.

RHYTHM AND RHYME: Readers naturally fall into a cadence when they're reading- they can usually anticipate how long the sentences are going to be. This isn't a good thing, usually- well, ever. It's not good in description because it makes it boring, and it's not good in action, because it makes it boring.

How to fix it? Count clauses. If you hit a patch that seems to have consistently two clauses, combine or cut a few in half to make it interesting.

___

Very good story, Magicman! I can't wait to read more about Alyssa and her plight- if it is a plight, or some nasty plot twist that you've got up your sleeve. :wink: As always, feel free to PM me if you've got any questions or want me to look at something else.

Black Ghost says...

Thanks for your comments!

Myth: Thanks, I'll be sure to fix the typos you mentioned. And I know the reason for her being taken is unclear, but by the time I post the last part of this story it should become clear. I wanted to leave the reason for her dissapearance a bit of mystery till the end.

Chocoholic: Yes, of course there will be more. This is only part one. :D

chocoholic wrote a review...

This was beautiful. Sad, but beautiful. It made me was to cry.

I love your description of winter and the snow. You make it sound lovely.
'Crystal never knew eyes could be so blue.' I loved that line.

This can't be the end though? Surely there's more. I want to know what happens to Alyssa.

Myth wrote a review...

Green = Comment/Correction
Blue = Suggestion
Black = Review

*

The door to the bedroom was open a crack, and Crystal peeked inside to find Alyssa looking through a small picture book while she lied on bed by the table light.

‘lied’ = lay

Crystal felt her vision start to blur.

‘felt’ is wrong here, you don’t really feel vision, do you? Could be something like: Crystal’s vision blurred / Crystal’s vision started to blur.

“Let me tell you that bedtime story. Anyone you want.”

‘Anyone’ refers to people, should be: any one ...

She must have told it to her own daughter dozens of time already, but nonetheless she began it again, with just as much enthusiasm as the first time she spun it, despite how she felt at the moment.

‘time’ = times

Besides, the invisible hands had already carried her into the leaving room.

‘leaving’ = living

*

Hello Magicman!

I didn’t understand why the girl was taken away, but I loved the image of snow and winter because I too love it. The snow Princess is a bit like Snow White but you’ve made her different but still a fairytale character that both mother and daughter love.

A couple of times you had Crystal doing this, doing that and it felt as if you wanted to point out every single movement she made, so you could cuts a few of those out. Also the transition from ordinary to fantasy, the tiger’s approach, slipped in well expect for the reason behind Alyssa’s disappearance.

Myth

Perfect kindness acts without thinking of kindness.
— Lao Tse